April 27, 2020

G55 AMG 4x4 Squared


G55 4x4 Squared in SnowI know, there was never a 2011 AMG G55 4x4 Squared, but it would be cool right? In February of 2018, I found a low mileage G55 at the local Mercedes-Benz dealership.  I had driven a supercharged 5.0L Hand-Build V8 G-Class before and was blown away by how the supercharged powerplant propelled the 3-ton truck down the highway.

For some reason, 500HP seems to be a sweet spot for me. Just enough power to make your gut have that WOW feeling, but not so much that you lose control. I've got a Saleen Mustang, a 2020 Corvette C8, and an LS-powered 1978 Corvette all with about 500 HP. The naturally aspirated hot cammed 6.2L LS mated with a close-ratio manual 5-speed is a thrill to drive. The supercharged 4.6L in the Mustang sounds amazing and the C8 takes off like a rocket. I know turbos are all the rage and the current twin-turbo setups are amazing, but there is something so smooth about the power curve on a supercharger that comes close to the feel of a naturally aspirated engine. But I digress...

The G55 is a blast to drive but it was set up for highway use. To me, the G-Class was designed to be driven off-road, and turning it into an urban cruiser just did not feel right. So with power to spare, I decided to turn this G55 into the truck it was meant to be.

The build includes Tibus Portal Axels, Tibus 18" Bead-Lock Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, King Shocks, Letech Roof Rack, and a front-mounted Smittybuilt Winch. Customizing any car comes with some give and take. The positives were improved ground clearance and better off-road capability will come with some negatives like decreased highway performance. Some I did not know about. In the coming weeks, I'll provide detailed reviews on each of the upgrades, for now here is the Reader's Digest version:

Tibus Portal Axels: I like the added ground clearance and wider stance, but it came at the cost of less crispness in handling. Off-road the added clearance is AMAZING. It is almost like you don't have to pick your line, just drive. One thing that kind of bothers me is a slight rocking when stopping. Additionally, there is a gear reduction that makes the speedometer read about 10% fast. Nobody can tell me how to adjust the computer to compensate, but I'm thinking a 37" tire would take care of the problem. I'm not super impressed with the installation from my builder as they seem to seep transmission fluid.

Tibus Beadlock Wheels Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires
Tibus Bead-Lock Wheels: Short answer, I don't like them much. Two reasons, they are HEAVY and impossible to balance. Getting the TMPS to work is also a challenge and they are difficult to get airtight. They are nice to air down but honestly, you can air down somewhat with stock wheels and be OK. After about two months with shaking every time I got up to 70 MHP, I replaced them with a 20" AMG wheel and I'm much happier. The AMG setup works well enough off-road and is great on the highway. Now I can get up to high speeds again and have a smooth ride.

King Shocks: Love these. Having a shock that is adjustable is so nice. Yes, it would be great to be able to adjust the ride from inside the car like the 4x4 squared, but just turn the knob on each shock and I can go from a stiff highway setup to a soft off-road set up in about 30 seconds. With the external reservoir, they seem to hold up under punishing use.

Ritto Ridge Grapplers: Exceptional off-road tires, horrible in the snow. I've used the Ridge Grappler in mud, sand, rocks, climbing "waterfalls" and more. They are even fairly good at highway speeds. Not too loud and handling is good. My problem is I live when it snows, a lot. They are on the verge of being useless in the snow. The Continental Terrain Contact is a first-rate SUV tire and works great on the road. So I've got the Tibus wheels setup with the Ridge Grapplers standing by when I need some off-road fun.

Smittybilt Wench: I know this is not a big name brand wench, but the Smittybilt 97510 X 2O Waterproof Winch performs very well! I've pulled everything from a Jeep to a G-Class to a Dodge 3500 HD with a trailer out of stuck situations with no trouble at all. As heavy as the G55 is it makes a great truck to wench from. I LOVE the wireless remote control. For the G55 I used a Thor wench mount to simply mount the wench to the existing Bumper.

Roof Rack: The Letech Austrian-made rack that comes on the PUR and Professional G-Glass sold in Europe. I like the look of the rack, the build is amazing and it is very functional, however, there is a ringing sound within I close any door and there is an increase in wind noise. Also with top mound antennas for satellite radio, there is a reduction in reception quality. Oh - the sunroof is now useless unless you want to look at the bottom side of the rack. I suppose I could remove the front sheet metal for a nicer view. It is very flat on top, you can basically walk on the top of the truck and the tie-down points are generous. I love the rack, but at almost $7000 it is pricey! I suggest purchasing from Bill Rader out of Las Vegas.

I'll start working on some detailed reviews on each of the mods and provide more information and hopefully allow anyone wanting to trick out their truck some first-hand experiences. Feel free to ask questions at any time.


1 comment: