April 23, 2020

Rust Bucket

Puch-G Without Fender, Grill, and Bumper
The early W640 G-Wagons are prone to rust. Starting in the early '90s the factory started doing a much better job with rust prevention of the body and frame but those of us with early models must use wax behind the body panels to fend off the ravages of rust.  Even then, after years of water and for trucks in snowy environments, road salt will take a toll on the bodies.

My truck was starting to show some signs of rust, so I found a local body shop that specializes in auto restoration and dropped off my Puch-G.

After the inevitable "wow that is a cool car" they asked what I wanted to be done. I told them that I was not looking for a show car, just to get the rust under control and get it protected so I can drive it around without worrying about the body acting like a sugar cube in a cup of coffee.

G-Wagon Rust Repair
I stopped by 3 days into the work to give it a quick look over. They are doing a fine job cutting away the rust and welding in new metal. From what I can see it will be good as new in no time. Check out the rust that was cut away from behind the front of the wheel and the correct way to weld in new sheet metal.

I'll keep you update with the progress as work continues. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a 1985 230GE/ W460. I have rust around the bottom. can u recommend some step rails for the sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't have any experiance with steps other than the stock ones on my G55.

      Delete